Yes...that somebody would be Luke. He came home yesterday from day care with a rash and spots on his back, chest and under arms. We gave him some Benadyrl and waited...and started asking around. As the night went on some more spots appeared on his legs. I called a friend to see if this needed a trip to the ER or Urgent Care. That phone call helped ease a little anxiety as she didn't think we needed to go. Needless to say this mommy did not get much sleep from keeping a constant watch on him all night. Luckily he slept most of the night only waking up a couple times as the Benadryl wore off. This morning when he woke at 6:30 there were MORE spots all over him....it had spread to a couple places on his face and more on his arms and legs. We called the pediatrician first thing this morning and I took him in. The verdict is a very bad case of hives from something he is allergic to. Basically he ate or touched something at day care yesterday and it caused this horrible reaction.
We are very thankful that it did not cause any breathing problems...he is just miserable at this point. His doctor mentioned that when it all clears up that we should consider allergy testing on him. And she said that unfortunately we may never know what caused this instance (since technically he did not have anything out of the norm yesterday). At this point, we are sticking with the Benadryl and might have to get some calamine lotion. We really have to watch his scratching, as it could lead to a 2nd degree infection. Hopefully they will go away in the next 3 to 4 days, although some may linger a bit longer.
Now I am on a mission to try and figure out what caused this, although I just may never know. That's a hard one, because I want so much to prevent this from happening again. It's pretty scary to know that he can react to something this way. I am thanking God that Luke's reaction was not more serious, as I know many parents have gone through so much worse with allergic reactions.




2 comments:
Oh no! Poor guy. That looks way uncomfortable! I hope you're able to figure out what caused it. Clara goes to the doctor tomorrow to see about allergy testing since she had a reaction last week. Fun stuff.
Sorry about your little man.
I know it's no fun when your kiddo is sick.
Hope he's feeling better!
Post a Comment