Saturday, August 9, 2008

My Grandma

This has been an emotional week to say the least! On Tuesday my grandmother passed away. I received a call from my parents about 8 am Tuesday morning, tropical storm day, that my grandma had taken a turn for the worst. She had coded at 6:30 am and the doctors did not think she would make it through the day. I made arrangements for Luke, got all his stuff and myself together and headed out door. I am on my way there and get a call from my dad that she had passed away before any of the family could get there. A couple of weeks ago she was moved to a different facility on I-10 close to Beltway 8. It's a pretty long hike for my family living in Navasota and Brenham, and of course all the rain was making the trip even longer for all of us. None of us expected this.
My grandma has had a rough go in the hospitals since April 20th, after suffering a major heart attack and open heart surgery. We all had such high hopes that this new facility could make her stronger and help with her recovery. She has been so weak and has been fighting for so long. I find comfort in knowing that God has healed her broken heart and suffering. But it is so hard for all of us because it is just too soon that we had to let her go. I wish there was more that we could have done to help her here, but I know that God is always looking out for her. She is at peace now, and that is most important. I thank God for wrapping her in His arms, and I ask God to wrap us all in His arms as we grieve and heal our broken hearts.
We held her service yesterday in Navasota. It could not have been more perfect to honor her in such a loving way. She was a special lady to all of us, and has meant so much to us. I treasure all of the wonderful memories that I have and will get to share with Luke through the years.
There is so much emotion built up inside, and I ask God to help me through this. I know He will, He always does. I just hurt so much, and these past several days have been so hard. Losing a loved one is never easy for anyone. It's getting even harder for me. I have lost three grandparents in the last 15 months. My great-grandma passed in May of last year, my Papa this past December and now my grandma. I have been very blessed to have my grandparents in my life...to learn from them, to share with them, to grow with them. It is so hard to let go, and hard to move on when you are so used to them being there. I thank God for putting them in my life, and giving me the opportunity to love them and be loved by them.

My mom selected this special little poem for my grandma's service program, and it says exactly whats our on hearts...

God saw she was getting tired
And a cure was not to be,
So He put His arms around her
And whispered, "Come with Me."

With tearful eyes we watched her suffer
And saw her fade away,
Although we loved her dearly
We could not make her stay.

A golden heart stopped beating
Hard working hands to rest,
God broke our heards to prove to us
He only takes the best.

We have a wonderful and amazing God. I thank him for taking care of our grandmother. She is safe and loved in His arms. He has blessed her life, and our lives. I thank Him for the 73 wonderful and love filled years she had on this earth. But now He has another amazing journey for her that will last for eternity.


No comments: